- Reddy, Michael. "The Conduit Metaphor - A Case of Frame Conflict in Our Language about Language." Metaphor and Thought. Edited by Andrew Ortony. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 1979.
- Lyford, Joseph. The Airtight Cage. New York, NY: Harper & Row, 1966. ['Introduction', 'The Area', 'The Block'.]
Jacobs, Jane. Death and Life of Great American Cities. New York, NY: Random House, 1961. ['The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety']
Durrell, Lawrence. Spirit of Place. New York, NY: Dutton, 1969. ['A Landmark Gone', 'Panic Springs', 'Delphi']
Mitchell, William. City of Bits. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1995. [Any substantial passage]
- Goodman, Nelson. Ways of Worldmaking. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett Pub. Co., 1978. ['Chapter 1']
Bordwell, David. Narration in the Fiction Film. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1985. ['The Viewer's Activity']
Norman, Donald. The Design of Everyday Things. New York, NY: Doubleday, 1990. ['The Psychopathology of Everyday Things']
Porter, William. "Notes on the inner logic of designing: Two thought-experiments." Design Studies 9, 3 (July 1988). Guildford, Surrey, England: IPC Science and Technology Press in co-operation with the Design Research Society.
- Anderson, Stanford. "Public Institutions: Louis I. Kahn's Reading of Volume Zero." Journal of Architectural Education. September 1995. Washington, DC: Association of Collegiate School of Architecture.
Ronner, Heinz. Louis I. Kahn - Complete Work 1935-74. Basel: Birkhäuser, 1977. ['Phillips Exeter Library']
Porter, William. "Re:Reading." Places. Issue 12, 3. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Vidler, Anthony. "The Idea of Type: The Transformation of the Academic Ideal: 1750-1830." Oppositions 8 (1977). New York, NY: Rizzoli.
Argan, Giulio Carlo. "On the Typology of Architecture." Architectural Design (1963). London: Standard Catalogue Co..
Moneo, Moneo, Raphael. "On Typology." Oppositions 14 (1978). New York, NY: Rizzoli.
De Quincy, Quatremere. "Type." Oppositions 8 (1977). New York, NY: Rizzoli.
- Habraken, John. Concept Design Games (Book 1). Cambridge, MA: Dept. of Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987. ['Introduction', 'Design as Game', 'Game Components']
Wittgenstein, Ludwig. The Blue and Brown Books. Oxford: B. Blackwell, 1958. ['Preface', 'The Brown Book', pp.77-89 ]
- Stiny, George. "How to Calculate with Shapes". [see lecture notes]
Stiny, George. "When is Reasoning Visual?" [see lecture notes]
Duarte, Jose. Customizing Mass Housing: A Discursive Grammar for Siza's Malagueira Houses. MIT PhD thesis 2001 [Introduction, Chapter 1]
- Mitchell, William. “Roll Over Euclid: How Frank Gehry Designs and Builds.” Frank Gehry, Architect. New York, NY: Guggenheim Museum Publications, 2001.
- Bently, Peter. Evolutionary Design by Computers. San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufman Publishers, 1999. [Introduction, Chapter 18, glossary.]
Gatherer, Derek. “The Memetics of Design”, in Bently. Evolutionary Design by Computers. [Chapter 3]
Loomis, Benjamin. "A Note on Generative Design Techniques: SGGA 2002". [see lecture notes]
- Gero, John. Chapter in Bently. Evolutionary Design by Computers. [see lecture notes]
- Glassie, Henry. Passing the Time in Ballymenone. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1982. ['Home']
Lakoff, George. 'The Contemporary Theory of Metaphor' in Ortony. Metaphor and Thought. [Chapter 11]
Bachelard, Gaston. The Poetics of Space. New York, NY: Orion Press, 1964. [Chapter 1]
Anderson, Stanford. "Memory in Architecture." Daidalos: Berlin Architectural Journal (December 1995). Berlin: Bertelsmann.
Ackermann, Edith. "Perspective-taking and Object Construction." Constructionism in Practice: Designing, Thinking, and Learning in a Digital World. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1996.
Geertz, Clifford. Interpretation of Cultures. New York, NY: Basic Books, 1973. ['Thick Description: Towards an Interpretation Theory of Culture']
- Meyer, Leonard. Emotion and Meaning in Music. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1956. [pp 1-42]