Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
Exploration of Concert Repertoire for the Solo Artist.
This term we will focus upon the works of Women Composers. Students will gather biographical data and explore art songs, operatic arias, choral masterpieces, and arrangements employing sacred and secular texts. Additionally, students will conduct inquiry into works indicative of their own heritage.
- Love of singing
- Good sight-reading skills
- Familiarity with the keyboard
- Daily vocalizing and practice of assigned repertoire
- Regular attendance and performance in class
- Rehearsals with chosen accompanist
- Performance in the culminating recital
- The singer should always be prepared to provide sheet music for instructor and accompanist.
A Timeline of the Women Composers Studied (PDF)
Week 1: Perform songs of your choosing
Week 2: Choose and begin to perform songs from the recommended repertoire
Week 7: Mid-term paper due
Week 10: Heritage paper due
Week 15: Culminating performance