Please answer all of the following questions and write two of your own!
"Tian ci: Faye Wong and English Songs in the Cantopop and Mandapop Repertoire"
- What is the "tian ci" tradition? How is it applicable to a discussion about Cantopop?
- What are the main factors driving the importation / appropriation of western, Asian, and Middle Eastern songs by Cantopop artists?
- Mitchell asks the question, is Faye Wong a "Copycat or Reinterpreter?" What do you think?
"English in Hong Kong Cantopop: Language Choice, Code-Switching and Genre"
- What is "code-switching"?
- What do linguists think some of the reasons are that people from Hong Kong in particular engage in Cantonese-English code switching?
- What does Chan mean by "the language of Cantopop is characterized by its hybridity"?
- What are the various frameworks Chan provides for understanding code-switching in Cantopop, and what does "genre" have to do with it?