This course makes use of Athena, MIT's UNIX-based computing environment. OCW does not provide access to this environment.
Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 lectures / week, 1.5 hours / lectures
In this course, we will concentrate on 3D, not 2D illustration or image processing. You will learn:
- Fundamentals of computer graphics algorithms
- Basics of real-time rendering and graphics hardware
- Basic OpenGL
- C++ programming experience
You will NOT learn:
- OpenGL and DirectX hacks
- Software packages
- Artistic skills
- Game design
|ACTIVITIES ||PERCENTAGES |
|Assignments ||75% |
|Quiz ||10% |
|Final Exam ||10% |
|Participation ||5% |
It is useful if you have knowledge of the following:
- C++: All assignments are in C++
- Calculus, Linear Algebra: Solving equations, derivatives, integral; vectors, matrices, basis, solving systems of equations
- Turn in code and executable (Athena Linux).
- Always turn in a README file: Describe problems, explain partially-working code, and say how long the assignment took.
- Coding style is important: Some assignments are cumulative.
- Collaboration policy: see below.
- Late policy:
–The deadline is absolute. All late assignments will be graded 0. So, submit early, even before you might be fully done.
–Due Wednesday @ 8pm
–Extensions only considered if requested 1 week before due date
–Medical problems must be documented
- You can chat, but code on your own (we use automated plagiarism detection software!)
- Use Piazza message board
- Help others on Piazza message board (will help your grade!)
- Acknowledge your collaboration (in README)
- Talk to each other, get a community going
- No textbook is required
Watt, Alan. 3D Computer Graphics. Addison-Wesley, 1999. ISBN: 9780201398557.
Buss, Samuel R. 3D Computer Graphics: A Mathematical Introduction with OpenGL. 2003. ISBN: 9780521821032. [Preview with Google Books]
Akenine-Moller, Tomas, Eric Haines and Naty Hoffman. Real-Time Rendering. 3rd ed. A K Peters/CRC Press, 2008. ISBN: 9781568814247.
Shirley, Peter, Michael Ashikhmin, Steve Marschner. Fundamentals of Computer Graphics. 3rd ed. A K Peters/CRC Press, 2009. ISBN: 9781568814698. [Preview with Google Books]